Fabric Insert Types – EE, EP or PP?

WHat is the difference between EE, EP or PP?

A common question among sheet rubber buyers centers around fabric inserts. Not all fabric inserts are the same. In fact, there are many different types of fabric inserts you can use. From cotton, to polyester to nylon, your choices might seem as endless as the various rubber compounds themselves. And much like selecting the correct polymer, your choice of fabric insert should reflect the performance standards demand by your application.

Lets introduce the terminology:

Cloth: General Cotton, a fabric with cotton warp and filling yarns.
EE: Polyester-Polyester, a fabric with polyester warp and filling yarns.
EP: Polyester-Nylon, a fabric with polyester warp and nylon filling yarns.
PP: Nylon-Nylon, a fabric with nylon warp and filling yarns.

Cotton: Is a soft, staple fiber → Good dimensional stability, with high resistance to most organic solvents. Mildew and rot-producing bacteria damage fibers.

Polyester (E): Derived from Ethylene glycol → E. High strength, low elongation. Good abrasion and fatigue resistance. Low moisture absorption. Excellent resistance to mildew.

Nylon (P): Derived from Polyamide → P. High strength, high elongation. Good abrasion and fatigue resistance. Moderate moisture absorption. High resistance to mildew.

USA (imperial) terminology:

Polyester: P
Nylon: N

So the equivalent to a metric EP fabric, in USA terms, is a P-N or Poly-Nylon fabric.

As mentioned, there are many different grades and treatments the cotton, polyester or nylon can receive. In order to ensure you are using the best fabric insert for your sheet rubber, please consult with a Premlene technical engineer and they will be happy to review your needs.